Peace Bridge (25 June 11)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

10 July: Dublin


We spent Sunday morning walking through Merrion Square and St Stephen's Green. M liked the playground at St Stephen's and watching the finches in Merrion Square. Merrion Square also had statues of Oscar Wilde and Bernardo O'Higgins.

Late in the morning, we split up: M and Steve headed to Croake Park to see a Gaelic football game and I caught the DART (light rail) to Dun Laoghaire*.

Gaelic football, according to the hotel bartender, is like a cross between Australian Rules football and rugby. The game that M and Steve saw was the Leinster (central Ireland) final and home team Dublin won their sixth consecutive Leinster title. M tells me that Dublin's win means that they will play in the All-Ireland semifinal. This coming Sunday, Derry plays Donegal for the Ulster final and their shot at the All-Ireland semifinal. I think I know what the guys will be watching on Sunday afternoon.

I went to Dun Laoghaire to see the James Joyce museum, which is located in the Martello tower that Joyce used as a setting for parts of Ulysses. Unfortunately, the museum changed its hours and wasn't open on Sunday. Instead I walked the beach, watched a sailboat race, and enjoyed a smoked salmon crepe from the Sunday open air market.

*Laoghaire was also the name of a character in a series of books I read this spring. I had all kinds of mental pronunciations for her name, but was surprised to find out that Laoghaire is simply pronounced "Leery."

No comments:

Post a Comment