Peace Bridge (25 June 11)

Monday, August 8, 2011

6 Aug: Belfast

We left Derry early Saturday morning for a weekend of sightseeing in Belfast. We dropped our bags at the Camera Guesthouse and walked into the city. Our first stop was St George's Market, an indoor market with food and craft stalls. I picked up some curry sauces to bring home and M enjoyed a cupcake as a snack, but soon we were all hungry for lunch.

We walked to Victoria Square Mall and had lunch at Wagamama. During lunch, M, Steve, and I took turns playing the National Flags Quiz on my phone. M knows his flags better than Steve or I do. After lunch we walked up to the top observation level at the mall (M says he counted 112 stairs!) and looked out over the city. I still wanted to look at the crafts at St Georges, so we walked back to the market.

We walked back to the guesthouse to drop off the curry sauces. Then we headed to the Ulster Museum, which has galleries on Irish history (from a British point of view), geology, zoology, and the "Troubles," the period of conflict in Northern Ireland from the late 1960s-1990s. The musuem is located in the Botanic Gardens and we enjoyed a walk through the park.

We went to Deanes at Queens for dinner. I especially enjoyed my risotto and meringue that Steve and I shared for dessert. After dinner we headed back to the Botanic Gardens so M could play in the playground. Finally, at about 9, we walked back to the guesthouse and everyone was ready for bed.

Click here to view these pictures larger

No comments:

Post a Comment