Peace Bridge (25 June 11)

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday drive to Grianán of Aileach

I drove for the first time today! We went to Grianán of Aileach, in County Donegal, Morgan and my first trip into the Republic of Ireland. The Grianán of Aileach is a ring fort, dating from approximately 600 A.D.

I had expected to title this post "Stay left, stay left, AAAH ROUNDABOUT." But on the approach to Grianán of Aileach, I found myself facing something else. We were headed uphill, on a road only about half again as wide as the car, when out onto the road popped two ... sheep.

Conversation in the car:

Steve: "Just keeping going. They'll move."

Me: "I don't want to hit anyone's livestock."

M: "Mom, if you hit them, they won't be anyone's livestock. They'll be someone's deadstock."

Thanks, M.

The sheep apparently had been through this before. They came forward until there was a convenient shoulder on the road and then crossed safely. We continued up to Grianán of Aileach and enjoyed the fort, as well as beautiful views of Donegal.

I later drove us to the Tesco and back and was glad to see only roundabouts, no livestock or deadstock.

Click here to view these pictures larger

No comments:

Post a Comment